Suggest treatment for ulnar nerve entrapment

hi i am young and i have severe ulnar nerve entrappment and ive gone to many doctors including neurologists who say they cant do anything because i am too young. I have had this since approximately 5th grade and i am now 17 and they still wont do anything. i know it is definitely hereditary that is the only test they will do on it is to see if it is hereditary but every one on my moms side has it. I want to know what i can do because this is really hurting me at a young age. last summer my whole ulnar side of my left arm was numb and i had zero wrist strength what so ever i couldnt even pick up a less than half full pop can. The other thing is that it lasts for months to the point where someone asks me how long its been numb and i cant even remember. Please give me some insight on what i should do.
Mon, 28 Jun 2021

Ulnar nerve entrapment is a condition, where the ulnar nerve becomes physically trapped or pinched resulting in pain, numbness or weakness, primarily affecting the little or ring finger of the hand. Entrapment may be at any level starting from cervical spine at C7 to wrist joint. The most common point of entrapment is elbow (Cubital tunnel syndrome). As it is a mixed nerve, therefore, the symptoms may be sensory, motor or mixed depending on the site of entrapment.

The condition,in your case may be definitely,hereditary,as your family history is positive, for this. The condition can vary among different family members, with some family members being more severely affected than others.The hereditary neuropathies can be diagnosed by blood tests for genetic testing,nerve conduction studies and nerve biopsy. There is no standard treatment for hereditary neuropathies.

However, proper positioning or movements at joints, can be known and triggers can be avoided. Regular exercises under guidance of your doctor/physiotherapist may help. Balance diet is also important. Treatment with pain medications, may help to relieve the symptoms of pain. Corrective surgery may be helpful and even curative in some cases. However, final judgement with regards to prognostic probabilities, will lie with your doctor and advised to be manged accordingly.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician