Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Have asymptomatic anemia, abdominal pain. Found lump below rib cage. X-ray showed swollen bowels

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 706 Questions
I have recently found a small superficial lump on my left side of my abdomen below my rib cage I am now experiencing a lot of fatigue that I did not have. I have been having abdominal pain and have asymptomatic anemia for three months due to an unknown origin (I have not had a period in 6 months and am NOT pregnant, hormones are normal). I did have an issue about 6 months ago while on a trip to Africa, an x XXXXXXX was done and my "bowels were swollen" I had a fever of 103.4 at that time and terribly diarhea (no blood). I was put on gentimyacine (sp?) injections, another antibiotic injection and an oral antibiotic. My WBC are elevated my monocytes are abnormally high and my lymphocytes are abnormally low. I have had anemia, intermittent vomiting and abdominal pain.I was diagnosed twice last year with mono once in April and again in October. I do have a swollen cervical lymphnode that has not gone down. I don't know what to do, my doctor believes it is GERD/ulcer but has not actually tested to see what it is. While the omniprazole does help some at night it has not stopped much of the pain. Any suggestions?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern

I have noted your medical problem

The data that you have posted would suggest a possibility that you may be having a chronic infection like tuberculosis or other autoimmune condition called crohn's disease. In the current era of modern medicine, I don't believe in empirical treatment.

A physical examination will unfold several issues and it will help decide the extent of investigations required to establish the diagnosis. You will require ultrasound of your abdomen and if required endoscopy. Other test that may help is to do a biopsy of the cervical gland. This will clinch the diagnosis.

So, I urge you to consult a local physician who will guide you the way I have discussed.

Hope this helps
Let me know in case you have any other concern
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor