Haemoglobin level is 113. Can Pantoprazole cause hard tarry stools?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: I have a hemoglobin level of 113 is that in the normal range?
can Pantoprazole cause hard tarry stools?
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Slightly low hemoglobin level, not usual side effe

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

A hemoglobin level of 11.3g/dl is slightly below the normal range. The normal should be greater than 12g/dl for males. However, it is not serious. It is however necessary to carryout Iron supplementation to make up for the slight decrease. Iron tablets are widely available. Supplementation generally should be done for two to three months, and a control complete blood count carried out to ascertain the response to treatment.

It is difficult and generally not very yielding to interpret the results of the hemoglobin level in isolation. Other parameters of the complete blood count picture like platelets, sizes of the blood cells (red blood cells) mean corpuscular volume and respective blood cells are needed. A good physical coupled with these other features give a good idea of the cause and degree of the anemia.

Hard tarry stools really have nothing to do with Pantoprazole. This has not actually been described as a side effect of this drug. Other causes of the hard stools like a change in diet should be actively sought for. Thanks and wishing you the best of health. Feel free asking follow up questions in case of need. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T