Had unprotected oral sex. What are the chances of contracting HIV?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Dear Doctor, I am a 30 year old male and I had unprotected oral sex with a sex worker some 24 hours back. I was the recipient of the oral sex and I did not give any oral sex to the worker. Later I realised that the sex worked was a shemale. There was some french kissing also involved. However, there was no intercourse of any kinds. I am extremely worried on this issue. Can this type of exchange lead to HIV? Is there any preventive medicine available for this which can be taken immediately? Pls suggest as soon as possible? This has been my one and only exchange outside marriage and do I really need to be worried? Is there any doctor in New Delhi whom I can XXXXXXX soon? Pls advise?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello Dear and thanks for posting the query
According to the history you have explained in your query there are less chances of getting to infection but there is not 100% surety that you are free from the risk. This virus is transferred only when there is blood contact between the infected person and the other person. As you have oral sex with your partner we cannot rule out any blood contact their might be some contact but the chances are very less.

Now about the other query the best method to prevent the HIV infection is the prevention methods like single sex partner. Certain medications are available in the country which can treat the infection of this virus. But for prevention from the virus the researches in India are still going on. Consult the doctors in AIIMS, New Delhi (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) to get reply to your query about prevention medications.

In the majority of the infected population, HIV remains asymptomatic for years - although some infected people will get a fever and flu like symptoms around two weeks after exposure. However, as most people do not experience or recognize these symptoms, the only way to know if you have HIV is to be tested. It is important to know, however, that it may take up to six months after exposure to the HIV virus before you will test positive on an HIV antibody test, although most infected people will test positive within 3 months. A negative test, therefore, isn't a reliable indicator of your infection status if you were only exposed last week. Tests that look directly for HIV RNA, the virus' genetic material, can detect an infection earlier, but are harder to find. So at least get your test done after 3 months and 6 months and get your mind relaxed.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any doubt in your mind.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh