Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Had surgery for endometriosis. Developed acute abdominal pain. Scan showed new cyst. What is recommended?

Answered by
Dr. Rhea Chanda


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3163 Questions

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I had been diagonised and underwent laprascopic surgery to treat endometriosis, present in both the ovaries. It has been just a month the surgical treatment was done and now, I started to develop actue abdominal pain. The ultra sound scan reported a new cyst of 0.2 cm in the left ovary. Prior to the surgery process, I had two shots of luperolide injections. But the effect of the medicine to treat endometriosis was not achieved. Hence I was recommended for a surgery, as I had been complaining of abdominal pain all the time. I am interested to know if this cyst condition can be treated and what is the recommended medication in allopathy.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 hours later
Brief Answer: no permanent solution Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Firstly you need to know that there is no permanent cure for endomtriosis . The symptoms however can be managed . The cystic lesions may show up from time to time even after conservative surgery . The most radical form of treatment in allopathy is a total hysterectomy . Having said that i should also say that it's often not recommended unless the it's severe endometriosis or in an early age group < 40yrs . If nothing else works only then is surgery recommended. In germs of medical treatment options are available but it will depend on factors like fertility , age, severity etc. Since infertility is the commonest complication completing the family asap is important . Leuprolide is a good option but at least 6 doses will be required to see and difference . Danazol is also another option but not if you wish pregnancy . Lap ovarian drilling /cystectomy may be done as required if the cyst increases . To summarise the exact treatment protocol is complex . It will depend on many factors . The pain at present could be due to many factors reasons . A cyst that it's small shouldn't be the cause of pain . But severe pain during menses can occur as it's typical of endometriosis . You can take mefenamic acid tablets thrice a day .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Danazol

doctor1 MD

Hello, my 18 year old daughter has been having HORRIBLE female problems. Within the last year she has been on Deproprevara, exploratory endometriosis surgery and then switched to Mirena IUD. Last week she switched to a new OBGYN and he put her on...

doctor1 MD

the anteverted uterus appears heterogeneours with dimensions of 87 x 78 x 66mm At least four fibroids ranging between 24x23mm to 51 x 43mm are seen. The largest fibriod is located on the anterior wall and impinges on the 3mm endometrium. The...

doctor1 MD

hi I have a left side very sore boob swollen and constant pain.... it's not from pms as I Knollwood exactly what that feels like .... haha don't even look at them.. but this is very different there is a lump in there and I'm very scared as may...

doctor1 MD

i am 27 yrs old 5ft 2 inches weighing 64 kg, 3 yrs ago my weight was around 50( when i was in college with an active life, regular periods dot 30 days) after which i joined job ( desk job , sedentary lifestyel) then i was diagonised with a cyst on my left ovary in an USG which was done for some other reason, but still my periods were regular. After that i was on danazol for 3 months & yasmin for next 3 months. The later USG found no such cyst but detected me with polycystic ovary. Now i have gained around 15 kg & off late i am having acne on my face(earlier i had a very clear face). i am not having regular periods so i went to a doc he gave me novelon for 6 months. Now i wanted to know

1. whether novelon can cure hormonal acne

2. Can i take novelon for 1 or 2 cycles & then stop it? how do i stop novelon n what would be its after effects.

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am 37 years old in okay health. I have a 6.2cm fibroid and several small ones with the largest being 1.9cm. I also have RH- blood. At my last appointment about the fibroids, I said I didn t want kids, so the gyno suggested danazol, myomectomy or hysterectomy. I asked for a few weeks to research and decide. My other half and I have decided to have a baby. Is it likely that we won t be able to conceive or carry to term?