Had surgery for endometriosis. Developed acute abdominal pain. Scan showed new cyst. What is recommended?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I had been diagonised and underwent laprascopic surgery to treat endometriosis, present in both the ovaries. It has been just a month the surgical treatment was done and now, I started to develop actue abdominal pain. The ultra sound scan reported a new cyst of 0.2 cm in the left ovary. Prior to the surgery process, I had two shots of luperolide injections. But the effect of the medicine to treat endometriosis was not achieved. Hence I was recommended for a surgery, as I had been complaining of abdominal pain all the time. I am interested to know if this cyst condition can be treated and what is the recommended medication in allopathy.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 hours later
Brief Answer: no permanent solution Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Firstly you need to know that there is no permanent cure for endomtriosis . The symptoms however can be managed . The cystic lesions may show up from time to time even after conservative surgery . The most radical form of treatment in allopathy is a total hysterectomy . Having said that i should also say that it's often not recommended unless the it's severe endometriosis or in an early age group < 40yrs . If nothing else works only then is surgery recommended. In germs of medical treatment options are available but it will depend on factors like fertility , age, severity etc. Since infertility is the commonest complication completing the family asap is important . Leuprolide is a good option but at least 6 doses will be required to see and difference . Danazol is also another option but not if you wish pregnancy . Lap ovarian drilling /cystectomy may be done as required if the cyst increases . To summarise the exact treatment protocol is complex . It will depend on many factors . The pain at present could be due to many factors reasons . A cyst that it's small shouldn't be the cause of pain . But severe pain during menses can occur as it's typical of endometriosis . You can take mefenamic acid tablets thrice a day .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E