Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Had protected sex, Doppler scan showed bilateral varicoceles, scrotum discomfort. What is the simple way to treat varicoceles?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
Dear Doctor, I am male aged 28, physically quite active, play sports and work out in gyms (4 times a week) and sometime swimming say 2 times a week, i also do suryanamaskar yoga almost every day. My concern is as below, Last year i have had no of times protected (no break of condoms) vaginal intercourse with sex workers (in Europe), no anal sex or no exchange of body fluids (like blood,semen etc). I have always been normal and never had experience any thing weird, i meant any symptoms like it is generally mentioned these days on the internet, however recently i made up my mind to see a doctor and get some tests done just as a general procedure, it says anti HIV bodies 1 and 2 are negative. All blood and urine analysis are normal, liver and kidney function tests are normal. Have taken the reports to my physician who examined looking at my testis and said there is 99% of chance that i am free from any STI but he noted a weird movement of left testicles and recommended to take up a ultrasonic color doppler scan of scrotum, i recently took up this test and came to know i am having bilateral varicoceles, must say honestly till i have seen the report have not felt anything in testicles, but slowely in last few days sometime i feel some discomfort in my scrotum, i felt for the moment it is more of a mind -psychology thing however consulted my physician again who said it could be due to varicoceles. For your information this is my report, My report says i have very normal appearing testis and epididymi, no testicular calcification and no extra testicular fluid seen. Color dopppler show normal bilateral intratesticular blood flow and reflux in both XXXXXXX spermatic veins in valsalva manoeure. Please do clarify should i take any more tests in regards to STI. What is the simple way to treat varicoceles, can i take homeopathic medicines? and do simple yoga postures that support this medical condition? please advise also Will varicoceles have an effect on sexual health regards
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
It is very common to have asymptomatic varicocele. Treatment for varicocele is only required if they cause incapacitating pain or poor quality of semen. You need to get your semen analysis done.
Varicocele does not affect the sexual health in any way. The only treatment available for varicocele is either surgery or embolization. Homeopathic medicines or yoga do not help.
I do not think you need further testing for sexually transmitted infections.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had protected sex, Doppler scan showed bilateral varicoceles, scrotum discomfort. What is the simple way to treat varicoceles? 11 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Many thanks for the replies.
What is embolization? How effective is it?
How different is it from Surgery?
If i do intend to have a surgery what are the chances that the surgery is successful.
Coz i read some articles where they said surgery is not guranteed success in most of cases, is it true?
best regards
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later

Embolization is done by expert interventional radiologist. A coil is placed into the draining vessel by radiologist and the varicocele is blocked.

The success rate of embolization as well as surgery is almost 95%. However, the pain has to be incapacitating because surgery by itself also leads to some pain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor