Had open surgery for advanced sigmoid colectomy. Watery stools with pain in the anus. What could be done?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello doctor. my dad had an open surgery of advanced sigmoid colectomy on the 7th October 2013 . he is suffering from watery stools with pain in the anus since then. the concerned doctor keeps changing tablets to stop them but no results. he says he may have to do another endoscopy and insert antibiotics in the operated part. please help my dad to get rid of this problem and live peacefully
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow doctor's advice, Be positive,Be patient. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for the query. The problems your dad is facing after advanced sigmoid colectomy is bother sum. I do understand your concern. The recovery after advanced sigmoid colectomy depends on the indication for the operation. Following are the possibilities & solutions for his problems. * In the operation, the remaing part of intestines is joined to anus.It's hardly one month post operation, so the healing tissue is still delicate & frequent motions bringing about stress to the part, the mild pain in anus is a natural thing. This pain without infection should go by 15 more days. Routine anti inflammatory drugs will help. A rectal suppository may be used with treating surgeon’s advice - To have watery stools is a normal phenomenon after sigmoid colostomy, till the intestinal function returns to normal. The time taken may be up to one year. * Sometimes infection of the XXXXXXX wound enhances watery stools & also anal pain. In such a case stool culture for causative organism is done. The specific antibiotic can then be selected & administered to have a control over the problem. Sigmoidoscopy is indicated to observe the healing wound & also local administration of antibiotic which facilitates healing. So don’t worry, your father will have a normal digestion once, the intestines adjust to new conditions after operation. Till then, -please follow your doctors instructions & have regular follow ups. - Keep him well hydrated & please follow the dietary regime advised by experts (balanced carbohydrates, proteins, fats) - Provide Multivitamins & mineral supplements with Vitamin C, B complex (specially Lactobacillus in liquid form) are important from general well being & healing point of view. - Not over exert, moderate activities with less exertion - A sound sleep & positive attitude will help him recover. Hope that helps. Any further query is welcome. Thanks,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad