Follow doctor's advice, Be positive,Be patient.
Thanks for the query.
The problems your dad is facing after advanced sigmoid colectomy
is bother sum.
I do understand your concern.
The recovery after advanced sigmoid colectomy depends on the indication for the operation.
Following are the possibilities & solutions for his problems.
* In the operation, the remaing part of intestines is joined to anus.It's hardly one month post operation, so the healing tissue is still delicate & frequent motions bringing about stress to the part, the mild pain in anus is a natural thing. This pain without infection should go by 15 more days.
Routine anti inflammatory drugs will help. A rectal suppository may be used with treating surgeon’s advice
- To have watery stools
is a normal phenomenon after sigmoid colostomy
, till the intestinal function returns to normal. The time taken may be up to one year.
* Sometimes infection of the XXXXXXX wound enhances watery stools & also anal pain
In such a case stool culture for causative organism is done. The specific antibiotic can then be selected & administered to have a control over the problem.
is indicated to observe the healing wound & also local administration of antibiotic which facilitates healing.
So don’t worry, your father will have a normal digestion once, the intestines adjust to new conditions after operation. Till then,
-please follow your doctors instructions & have regular follow ups.
- Keep him well hydrated & please follow the dietary regime advised by experts (balanced carbohydrates, proteins, fats)
- Provide Multivitamins & mineral supplements with Vitamin C
, B complex (specially
in liquid form) are important from general well being & healing point of view.
- Not over exert, moderate activities with less exertion
- A sound sleep & positive attitude will help him recover.
Hope that helps. Any further query is welcome.