• question-icon

Is surgical intervention required during early stages of colon cancer?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Sir, i have 1 cancerous polyp removed, from descending colon. diagnosis - early invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately differentiated. Tumor shows early invasion of submucosa. No lymphovascular invasion identified. Colon resection was scheduled but the surgeon did not go with it as they were not able to find any mark/residue. Now he asked me to come after 5months for colonscopy again. I am quite anxious about this whole process, is it the right direction?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Absolutely correct protocol.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks fir the query.

Absolutely correct protocol.
Book says-
If your cancer is small, localized in a polyp and in a very early stage, surgeon may remove it completely during a colonoscopy otherwise a minimally invasive approach to surgery, such as:Endoscopic mucosal surgery is used.

After the removal colonoscopy should be done after almost 6 months and in case recurrence is seen invasive surgical procedures are used.Partial colectomy is usually done. During this procedure, the surgeon removes the part of your colon that contains the cancer, along with a margin of normal tissue on either side of the cancer.Radiation therapy is rarely used in early-stage colon cancer, but is a routine part of treating rectal cancer, especially if the cancer has penetrated through the wall of the rectum or traveled to nearby lymph nodes.

You are in very early phase.
Invasive surgical procedures are not required.

You are in right hands.
Follow your surgeon.
Wish you great luck!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist