• question-icon

Is fever, diarrhea, abdominal and lower back pain, sore throat with history of colectomy and hysterectomy serious?

I am having fever, diarrhea, sometimes watery, some abdominal and lower back pain, with a sore throat and a cough that just started. I am a specific patient, as I have had a total colectomy and hysterectomy. Any idea if this requires a trip to ER? I am moderately dehydrated as well.
Wed, 6 Mar 2019
Hi.

Noted the history of Total Colectomy and Hysterectomy, although the timing is not mentioned.
If the problems of fever, diarrhea, pain in lower abdomen and back are soon after surgery then this may be due to collection in pelvis that is most probably infected.
IF the surgery was in past or long ago and you also have developed sore throat and cough then the problems may be related to viral infection causing all the symptoms that you have mentioned.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Considering the history of a major surgery and feeling of dehydration, it would be best to go to ER to get a clinical evaluation, examination and investigations done:
Tests of stool and blood.
Ultrasonography of abdomen and pelvis.
Course of an antibiotic and metronidazole as needed.
Rest of the treatment as per the findings, symptomatic and supportive therapy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T Chandrakant,
General Surgeon