Had large lump on neck below jaw line. Getting bigger and hurts to swallow. What is it?

Dr. Irshad H Naqvi

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Question: My son aged 29 has had a large lump on his neck below the jaw line for a month. It is getting bigger and hurts when he swallows. He saw a doctor at an insta care clinic and a dentist. Doctor put him on antibiotic which isn't working. Dentist said nothing is wrong with his teeth. I am starting to get scared about cancer. He said the lump is hard and rubbery and doesn't move much.
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: FNAC required for diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Welcome to the XXXXXXX Many possibilities of such one month old lump below the submandibular region with little discomfort can any benign growth/enlarged lymphnode due to some infection in the throat/ tuberculosis of lymphnode. Most probable cause in my opinion is to rule out Tuberculosis of lymphnode. Possible Investigation CBC, ESR, CXRay, FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the growth will exactly point the diagnosis. If FNAC is inconclusive then biopsy of the growth to be carried out to reach the diagnosis. Hope the query is answered. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D