Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Had ingunal hernia removed. Taking gabapentin and hydrocodone for the pain. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 125 Questions
I had an ingunal hernia removed in May 0000. Previous to that I had 2 c-sections, hysterectomy, and he used the same insition to remove the hernia. I have had pain since. I'v been to 4 surgeons, 4 pain managements and nothing seems to help. As the years go on it just gets worse. They say I have nerve damage from the hernia repair. I am taking Gabapentin and hydrocodone for the pain and it just does not work. I'm now 58 years old wishing I was 58 years young! I also take care of my 88 year old Dad. Driving makes it hurt and just about everything from washing cloths to just walking! HELP! Any ideas or new things they have come up with? Thanks for your help.Can this be repaired and I also have mesh in there too. They have tried radiotherepy, cordisone shots, and I just can't remember what else. My Dr. I see now thinks that 10-325T ofhydrocodone is enough for the pain and I also take zanax at night to try to sleep. What do you think? I take 4 pills of the hydrocodone a day.
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later

Thanks for the query.

It seems you are suffering with a neuralgic pain. Neuralgic pain occurs due to irritation of nerve ending at scar of the operated site. In some cases it really becomes troublesome and does not respond to most of the drugs as it has happened in your case.

If I were to be treating you, I would suggest you the following line of treatment.

1. Codeine: In the first instance I suggest that you reduce the dosage or stop it completely. It seems to be not working and may complicate the management. You can have simple pain killer like paracetamol (over the counter) or any other prescription analgesic as advised by your treating doctor.

2. Pregabalin and one of anticonvulsant drug (e.g. clobazam, lamotrigine or oxcarbamazepine) can be considered by your treating doctor. A low dose antidepressant like amitriptyline or duolexitine can also be considered by him.

The pain may not reduce immediately with this line of treatment, but gradually the dose and frequency of these drugs can be altered by your doctor to contain the pain.

Hope you recover from pain. Let me know if you need any other information pertaining to this issue.

Dr. Pratap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor