• question-icon

Suggest treatment for hemiparesis

Posted on Sat, 5 Aug 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi, my son is five years old and suffering from left hemiparesis since birth, first time seizure was monitored at two years. Second time three years but last one and half years seizure was not occurred due to valparine 7.5 ml twice and frisium 5mg once.but last three months seizure is attacking every twenty days. Present medication is valparine 10ml twice , frisium 5mg twice and lamitor DT 25 half since last 5 days. but no results as today morning at 6.30 he again attacked, just after 24 days. EEG results generalized paroxysmal bursts of periodic spikes, abnormal sharp or slow wave discharges are noted in the tracing. Multiple foci on either side. Kindly suggest.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue same treatment

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Seizure or epilepsy related to birth asphyxia or early brain damage is difficult to control.
The drugs advised are increased gradually.
With increasing age and body weight, the dosing may be increased.
Valproate and frisium are OK at this moment.
Lamotrigine can be gradually increased as is rightly being done by your treating doctor.
Lamotrigine cannot be increased sooner.
You have to wait for few days more.
If seizures are recurrent and with persistent loss of consciousness then hospitalization may be required.
Other drugs that can be tried or added later are lacosamide and levetiracetam.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist