Suggest treatment for refractory epilepsy

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 3 Nov 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: my name is XXXXXXX XXXX from XXXXXXX i was diagnosed for epilepsy / encephalitis in 2012 november and was in coma for 45 days i m 36 years old i was a chain smoker but i stopped smoking since 7 months but i chew tobacco every day and having seizures and fits every day i forgot most events of my past life i am depressed and my behavior has chanced most of the time i am aggressive and violent my mood swings every time my sexual life is also effected ,my doctor prescribed kepra/ lamitor and frisium from last 3 years ,please guide me what should i do, his suggestion is to go for operation/surgery , please guide me what should i do ,whether i go for surgery of be on medicine please guide me online or send an email on YYYY@YYYY i am online now ( my doctor is Mr Roop XXXXXXX Gursahani from hinduja Hospital XXXXXXX XXXXXXX )
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is the best option.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you

I have noted your clinical details. You are suffering from refractory epilepsy (not responding to medicines) and moreover, you are having side effects due to tablets (aggressive behaviour and sexual problems). So, surgery is the best option for you.

I sincerely hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,     
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
sir i dont want to go for surgery any other solution apart from surgery as it may cause some other problem in my case
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Then, you need to continue medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

If you do not want to undergo surgery, you need to continue medicines to control seizures (as well as tolerate the side effects). These are the only two methods of treating epilepsy (medications and surgery).

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
can i come to you with my brief file of my case so as to receive a actual guidance from your side ..and also treatment from you
Brief Answer:
I would be pleased to see you.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I would be pleased to see you and you are welcome to visit XXXXXXX Apollo Hospital, to consult me. I would guide you with the best treatment.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)