Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Had a sexual encounter. Suggest most reliable test for HIV and how soon can I get the result?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I had a sexual encounter in March 2013. I want to get a HIV Testing done now in Mumbai. Kindly suggest the most reliable test that I can do and how soon can I get the result.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The most reliable test would be a blood test

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
As six months have already elapsed, the most reliable test in your case would be a blood test to detect antibodies against HIV in body. This is done by ELISA ( enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) for HIV. If ELISA for HIV comes positive the same is confirmed again by western blot.

Usually ELISA for HIV takes a day to three days. If results are positive, another day is required to confirm the same by western blot. So roughly a lab may require a single day to four days for result confirmation.

Hope that answered your query. Should there be any doubt, please write back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had a sexual encounter. Suggest most reliable test for HIV and how soon can I get the result? 15 hours later

Thank you for the reply, but I am getting paranoid and having severe stress about the whole process.

1. Can I do the Rapid ELISA test for receiving the report in 30 minutes and can it be done by taking the saliva sample?
2. Are there any help lines or counseling that I can call/meet near Kandivali. Mumbai for help
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
rapid ELISA test can be done but its less reliable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
1) Rapid test can be done for HIV detection. If one test is positive, second test is also done for confirmation and accuracy. Saliva sample can be used for same. However blood sample and ELISA for HIV detecting antibody is more accurate

2) You can visit any of the medical colleges or government hospital nearby in your area. Hospital attached to a medical college have a fully functional HIV clinic with counsellors and doctors.
As almost six months have passed, a single day would not increase the risk so go with a more accurate blood test instead of going with rapid ones.

Please do not panic or stress yourself. Even if a person has a single unprotected contact with HIV positive person, the chances of getting the infection are very low. So if you had a single unprotected intercourse with a girl who could have been HIV positive, chances are you might not be having the disease.

Hope that helped

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor