Is HIV 4th generation combination test done 85 days post exposure conclusive?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: FOR XXXXXXX PATHOLOGIST OR MICROBIOLOGIST ONLY - i got tested myself with HIV COMBO CMIA test at 85 days, 98 days and 112 days. The readings were 0.13, 0.14, 0.17 respectively.

1. Is CMIA Combo test reliable in India? How accurate it is in XXXXXXX subcontinent?

2. Though i have got it tested from a reputed lab, why are my values increasing. Is there a chance it can reach 1.0 in future?

3. Am i conclusively hiv free? Should i also do
Elisa test?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No need to go for ELISA test.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

HIV Combo test is 100% reliable and accuarte after three months of exposure because the window period for HIV varies from 15 days to 3 months. The value of the test has not of much significance because any value below one is considered as negative so you need not to worry at all as you are absolutely safe and risk free. Also no need to go for ELISA as the result of HIV Combo test is 100% conclusive. If still any query is there feel free to ask me again and I am here to help you out.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Thanks sir.. Just wanted to confirm that CMIA Combo test is valid in XXXXXXX and is it reliable. As different countries have different regulations for tests?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CMIA Combo test is valid in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

CMIA Combo test is definitely valid in XXXXXXX and it is highly reliable so forget about the accuracy of the test, close this chapter and live your life normally. Wishing you very happy and healthy life ahead.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 17 hours later
Thank you so much sir. Your response has brought a lot of peace to my mind. I was totally stressed out because of this. Could not sleep well for 3 months. Taking your point that this will not go to 1.0 in future, I will close this chapter now.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

I am very happy to hear that you are feeling relaxed now and you are most welcome if you need any kind of help from my side in future also. Stay happy and healthy forever.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 28 hours later
Just one more query, this test does not give me individual figures for p24, hiv1 and hiv2 ab. I got only one value for everything. How can i say that i do not have p24 or antibodies in my body? Does one single value sums it all? Or is there some other test that gives different scores for ag and ab? Should i get that done?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No further test is required.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM once again.

CMIA Combo test for HIV will detect both antigen as well as antibody against HIV and that is why you got one figure only so don't get confused or scared because the test is highly reliable and you are free from the infection as per the result. No further test for HIV is required so just calm down, forget all these and move on happily.

Thank You