Can hidden steroids in dietary supplements cause high SGOT and SGPT values?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 8 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Dear Doctor

In my recent annual health check up my SGPT and SGOT values came very high. SGPT is more than 100 and SGOT is more than 200. But last year both were less than 40. Consulting Doctor asked me to do HCV Tri Dot and HBSAG/ Australian Anitegen – ELISA test. Which both came negative. According to him my high SGOT and SGPT values could be due to the hidden steroids in the dietary supplements that I have daily. Below are the dietary supplements I consume daily.

1.     Evolved DIM supplement, 2 per day. http://www.evolvedorganics.com/product/dim/
2.     Himalaya Gokshura herbal supplement , 2 per day.
3.     Himalaya ashwagandha herbal supplement , 2 per day.
4.     One a day mens health formula for age under 50. https://www XXXXXXX in/Mens-Healthy-Formula-Under-Tablets/dp/B00PHU1KQQ

I am 34 years and my serum testosterone was 338 on Oct 1st after consuming all these, sleeping properly, exercising and changing the diet it increased to 588. Please let me know thses supplements have any hidden steroids or consuming them are not good for liver.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Raised liver enzymes.

Detailed Answer:

We are not sure if all of the above supplements have steroids as they do not mention them in the ingredients.
However if you look Evolved DIM supplement it has estrogen which would definitely act on liver to increase the SGOT and SGPT.
First of all understand that these are just enzymes which denotes high and imbalanced activity of the liver. The activity could be because of high toxins or heavy work it is doing which it was not doing earlier.
Second we do not know a lot of ayurvedic supplements like in Himalaya how they are going to act on liver especially the initial days of supplementation. They might increase the activity in the liver causing raised enzymes. Sooner they may settle but they may also damage some cells in the liver.
Third Mens health formula would invaribly act on or with testosterone which is again a steroid and thus increase liver enzymes in the blood.
So the best way is to stop them for a month or two and retest if the enzymes come back to normal. If they are not coming back then there are other issues as well.

Hope this answer is informative