Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Got slurred speech. CT scan showed age releted cortical atrophy and calcified granuloma. Worrisome

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5572 Questions
sir iam MD(Medicine),PhD(Nephrology),treating a patient undergoing CKD,as suddenly developed slurred per CT sCAN IT SHOWS age releted cortical atrophy and calcified granuloma...WHAT CAN BE DONE NOW?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Sudden onset slurred speech is suggestive of a brain stroke, possibly in the left cerebral hemisphere.

Normal CT scan in the early phase excludes a brain hemorrhage. However, an ischemic stroke can not be excluded on a CT so early. MRI of brain may help in detecting a small infarct.

Age related cortical atrophy and calcified granuloma are incidental findings and do not require any treatment.

As of now, you can start Tab ECOSPRIN to prevent worsening of the infarct.

In addition, please evaluate for the risk factors such as diabetes, high BP, high lipids, high homocysteine, etc. If high, treat them.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor