Got scratch near clitoris and started bleeding heavily. Using neosporin on it. What to do?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: My husband was fingering me and missed. His nail gouged out a chunk of skin right near my clitoris. It was very painful! This was three or four days ago and ever since it happened I've been miserable. It turned a black color and resembles a blood blister. It still bleeds enough that I have to wear a pad. I have been putting neosporin on it. I can feel it in my clit. What do I do?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The area around the clitoris has very good blood supply and it is likely that he hit a small vessel called an artery. My guess is that it probably bled quite a bit when it first happened.

Thus far, you have done everything right and it was a good idea to apply an antibiotic ointment.

Based on what you are saying, though, it might need some further attention. The human hand, and particularly under the nail, is full of bacteria. Given the break in the skin, the possibility of infection is certainly a concern. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Call your OB/GYN for a visit (they need to see you before the weekend)
2. Explain that you have a tear to the side of the clitoris from intercourse and it is bleeding, painful, and dark in appearance
3. Until the visit, soak the area in a tub twice daily, blot dry, apply neosporin, and avoid intercourse.

I hope that this helps. If you have followup questions, please ask!