Got abnormal range of ESR. Having cold and sore throat. Did test for lupus, rheumatoid, auto immune disease

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: Just had labs done and ESR was 18 (0-15) i an nervous i had labs in beginning of week for ESR and it was 12 in range. Pleaae help !! Scared . What is this had fullnlabs done in august for lupus , rheumotiod , all auto immune diseases. Could this be if i have a cold or sore throat
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry. ESR is nonspecific.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your question.

Please relax, an ESR reading of 18, when the normal range is 0-15 is not very significant.

ESR can be elevated in any acute or chronic illness, so it not at all surprising that your ESR is mildly elevated as you have cold and sore throat.

That said, we suspect autoimmune disorders and tuberculosis when the levels are grossly elevated, something like about 50 to 60 for autoimmune disorders and other immune disorders, but about 80 to 100 for tuberculosis.

So please relax, there is nothing wrong with your ESR, it is just a marker for some inflammation, that is, it raises when there is any kind of inflammatory response by the body, be it common cold and sore throat or anything else.

I sincerely hope your question has been addressed, however, please do not hesitate if you happen to have any doubts or if you need further clarifications.

Wishing good health.

Warm regards,
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 24 minutes later
Awesome ! Thank you
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Thank you for choosing us.

It was a pleasure helping you.

All the very best.

Kind regards,