Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Getting watery discharge with sour smell from ear. What could be the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
My son has a watery fluid that drips from his ear from time to time and his ear smells sour. What could be the problem? He has an intolerance to antibiotics and I'm not sure what else I could try. Do you have any suggestions as to what I could do?
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
The watery discharge with sour smell is most likely due to middle ear infection or allergic reactions. Home remedies you can do with proper precautions are:
1. Remove the cause of the symptoms whatever you feel causing the problem like moisture, dust, foreign body etc.
2. Rinse the ear gentle with body temperature warm saline but make sure that saline is not too hot or cold. This may cause dizziness.
3. Do not scratch the canal of the ear or use ear buds. It may aggravate the irritated skin and worsen the condition.
4. Use ear plug or cotton wool outside the ear. Do not use plastic earplugs.
5. Can use analgesic drugs for pain and anti-allergic drugs for itching if you have.

You need to consult an ENT specialist and get examined, if you find any one of the following symptoms:
1. Symptoms continue for more than 5 days of home remedies or have recurrent episodes.
2. If your son has any hearing loss, fever, dizziness and increase in the symptoms.
3. Pain and itching become worse.
4. Any throat or nose infection.

Hope all this help your son. Write back if you have any further queries. I will be happy to answer them.
Best Wishes and have a healthy life
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor