Getting unilateral headaches and lightheaded. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Vineet Saggar

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: i get sharp pains in the back right side of my head and a surge/rushing sensation which makes me very lightheaded
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later

Unilateral headaches associated with nausea and vomiting are generally migraine in nature. So your symptoms seem to be like those of migraine only. But for confirming such a diagnosis, we need to rule out other possibilities, like ear, nose or throat infection, disturbances in visual acuity, dental problems etc. This can be done by a proper physical examination. If every other cause is ruled out and the problem is diagnosed as migraine, prophylaxis medications like tryptomer would be required. Sometimes, the headache could be due to stress also.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 16 hours later
DON'T NECESSARILY HAVE NAUSEA BUT LOTS OF LIGHTHEADEDNESS AND SURGING SENSATION AT BACK OF HEAD WHICH LEAVES ME DISORIENTATED. ALSO GET DULL PAIN IN RIGHT EAR.
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back
The symptoms you are having may be a form of migraine that is vertiginous migraine but you should get an EEG to rule out epilepsy
Please see a physician for this
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later
I HAVE HAD AN EEG WHICH WAS NORMAL. I GET A PRESSURED FEELING IN MY EARS AND TENSION IN THE NECK AND BACK OF HEAD WHEN THESE RUSHING SENSATIONS ARISE. NOT SURE ABOUT MUSCLE CONTRACTIONS OR TENSION HEADACHES?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 24 hours later
Hi
I feel if EEG is normalm then it is migraine only and even if it is tension headache amitriptyline will help
Please see your physician for a prescription
can you get sore patches on scap?
also have pea size lump in neck halfway down ?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 39 hours later

Sore patches in the scalp may be related to scalp infection. Such infections can cause lymph node enlargement in and around the neck. Swollen lymph node can vary in size - pea size to a dime.

These patches and lymph node swelling may not be related to your headaches.

Hope this suffices.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
are there any other symptoms for scalp infection and what is treatment?
Thanks for writing back.
Fever and itching are symptoms of scalp infection. For treatment, you would need a course of antibiotics for which you would need to see a physician.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions