Getting light bleeding after taking of unwanted 72. Any problem with medicine?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Question: Hi doctors. My girlfren takes unwanted 72 after unprotected sex. But on 9th of this month which is on the 5th day she got some light bleeding and still now she got this light bleeding means for the last 8th days she is bleeding. Is this some problem with the pills or is there any serious problem.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Women can occasionally have episodes of prolonged vaginal bleeding. Prolonged periods (if the period lasts more than 7 days) is called menorrhagia.
It can occur as a result of a number of factors such as hormonal imbalance which affects the lining of the uterus, problems with component of blood, pregnancy (one of the most common causes), abnormal structure of the uterus or in uterus like fibroids, infection, low levels of thyroid hormone.

Because this is only the 8th day and the bleeding is light, it may stop on its own and your girlfriend can consider waiting 2 more days to see if the bleeding stops.
During that time it may be best to do a pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy as the cause of the symptoms.

If the bleeding continues beyond this time she needs to consider visiting her doctor who may do some investigations.
These investigations may include a full blood count (this checks the hemoglobin and the platelets), iron level studies, thyroid and prolactin levels (these are hormones that can affect the period), levels of FSH and LH ( the hormones of reproduction) and an ultrasound.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
My girlfren last period comes on 27th dec 2012 n we had sex on4th XXXXXXX and his menstruation cycle is 30 to 31 days so expected date of next period is 27 of thismonth. Thanks doc for ur advice. As this thing is happening for the 1st time &we are very worry.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, it is understandable to be concerned.

She should consider doing the test, if negative then watchful waiting.
If it continues beyond the next 2 days then she should visit her doctor for an assessment.

Feel free to ask any thing else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 hours later
Hi doc. In your experience do you found such type of bleeding and whats the duration. Should i use medicine which is use to stop bleeding.
Hi, it depends of the cause of the bleeding.
If the pregnancy test is negative then your doctor may suggest investigations to determine the cause of the bleeding.

Depending on the cause progesterone based agents can be used to stop the blood flow.

Feel free to ask anything else