Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Get welts between legs with itching in groin. What are these?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4045 Questions
I get like welts between my legs on either side of mg underwear. and i was wondered what the cause was and if there is a solution. The area gets very red and swells and feels like a burning sensation. Is it due to sweat? Or acidity?
I also get an itching sensation between my anus and vagina.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer according to your concern.

There are several possibilities of welts or bumps on either side of labia with redness/ swelling and burning or itching sensation. These includes as follows:

1) Mostly suggestive of associated vaginal yeast infection or any type of Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD).
2) Hypersensitivity reaction due to use chemical substance like lubricant/ jelly with condom or soap/ detergent/ other bath products, related with repeated friction & irritation inside vagina & labial side.
3) Others- UTI) with co-existence of vaginal infection, inserting any type of foreign objects etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by pelvic examination (with or without speculum) and some initial investigations like complete blood test & serological tests for STD profile, urine examination - routine & microscopy and vaginal swab test for culture etc.

Treatments depends on underlying causative factor. You may need to take proper antibiotic therapy with local application of cream/ ointment (like vagisil etc) and vaginal suppository.

Above condition is not likely related with acidity or sweating. Though maintenance of genital hygiene & taking proper medication are the key to get rid of this.

In this scenario, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist/ venereologist at the earliest for proper guidance through examination, investigation & next line of management.

Following things are helpful to get relief from above condition:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like vit-E etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ fluids.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects inside vagina. Keep the genital area always dry.
3) Maintain personal hygiene properly with proper washing & cleaning genital area.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Also avoid repeated friction with clothes.
5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms.
6) Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 2-3 weeks or till completion of treatment course.

I hope above said information is very much sufficient & helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health and practice protected sex in future.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Get welts between legs with itching in groin. What are these? 14 hours later
Well I think you may have misunderstood it is between my legs near my underwear line but on my leg.
It cannot be an std or uti as it seems to only appear at end of day.. Late afternoon. And it can become like a burn and very painful to the extent that walking is difficult. If I shower it burns but then it seems to calm down and I get some relief and then it can be gone within hours again. That's why I thought perhaps sweat. It isnt wveryday but happens when hot. I do drink a lot of come zero which might affect acidity. If it was a reaction to a substance surely that would be all the time?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later

Thanks for your query and giving me a concrete information about the problem. I apologize for misinterpretation.

Burning sensation around underwear line in between legs is probably due to accumulation of sweating and friction of wearing cloth. This causes irritation and inflammatory reaction (specially on hot weather) on those area and leads to redness & swelling. Another thing, using bath cosmetics/ soap or hair removal cream may aggravate the condition. Hair folliculitis also can cause this type of features. There is no relation with acidity.

Here, I suggest to consult with dermatologist for clinical examination & blood test for hypersensitivity reaction. You may apply 1% hydrocortisone cream/ aloe vera gel locally that can help in soothing and heal wounds & inflamed skin. Also you wear loose clothing over it to avoid further irritation.

For itching sensation around vagina and anus, you need to rule out vaginal yeast infection by doing vaginal swab test. In such cases, vaginal suppository is very much useful.

In addition, you should follow all preventive measures that I have described in last portion of my previous reply.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor