Found white dry flaky circular patches on groin area. What could it be?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have white dry flaky rash like circular patches on my groin? do you know what might be join on. I am a 39 year old male.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 29 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
This is most probably fungal infection of the groin, especially there is itching.
Things that could be of help are
1.     Keeping the area clean and dry.
2.     Application of antifungal ointments/ cream thrice daily for a week.

The treatment can be started once the area has been inspected by a GP/dermatologist/urologist, who can make the right diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. Kindly revert back for doubts if any...
Wishing you good health
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 17 minutes later
there is no itching what so ever. just skin folds that became white and flaky in some cases from small red circular patches. could it be herpes or some other std?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome back.
STD without affecting the genitals and presenting only in the groin is rare.
It may just be eczema or psoriasis which are best diagnosed by dermatologists.
Kindly take an early consult and get well soon.
REGARDS
DR GS