For what STD is prescribed Flagyl and can it be taken with Doxorubicin and cyclophoshamide?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes is there any interactions taking Flagyl with Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide And for what sexual transmitting disease is prescribed the Flagyl Thank you
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Flagyl is poorly tolerated with anti cancer drugs. Detailed Answer: Dear friend Thanks for writing to us. Flagyl contains metronidazole. It is used in vaginitis bacterial, infection, diverticulitis, vaginal infection, diarrhea, bacterial infection. You doctor must have prescribed it to you for Pelvic Inflammatory disease. I suppose you had complains of lower abdominal pain or white discharge per vaginally. Since you are already on Doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide , Flagyl has to be given to you with great precautions. It has been reported to interact with anti-cancer drugs and to produce undesirable side effects. But it is not a definitive thing that you will have the interaction. It varies from person to person. And usually long term use interactions are seen more frequently. If your doctor feels, it's important for you to take metronidazole, you should take it with precaution and report to her immediately if you have any problem like vomiting, breathlessness, pain abdomen, anxiety, fatigue. Flagyl is itself known to cause nausea and vomitings by inducing metalli taste in mouth. Since your anti cancer drugs also causes nausea and vomiting, you might find it difficult to tolerate both together. I would advise you to discuss with your doctor if he/she can change the prescription to tinidazole, which is better tolerable. And to add Ondansetron , which is an anti-emetic drug. I hope I am able to solve your queries. You are free to ask me for clarifications. Stay Healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad