Fingering with semen. Missing period. HPT negative. What are the chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: hi i had sex with my partener on 21st November. it was not the proper sex but he inserted his finger with some semen on it. i had my periods on 6th of December. but now its XXXXXXX 11th , my periods have not yet come. i am very tensed. can i be pregnent? i did home pregnency test and they all are negative. can there is any posibilty that test can be wrong?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello
Insertion of seminal fluid inside the vaginal canal in any form leads to a risk of pregnancy.
However, after the unprotected act on 21st November, you had a normal period on 6th of December.
Please let me know if you had any episodes of unprotected sexual intercourse after that period, and also the length and pattern of your normal menstrual periods.
Home urine pregnancy tests are 97 % reliable.
Sometimes, if you test too early, or do so following a wrong method ( inadequate amount of urine or reading the result on the strip too early or too late ), a false negative ( test saying negative while you are actually pregnant ) may occur.
Also, if the urine is not collected in a sterile vial and is contaminated by other substances like soap etc, this might happen.
For the 3 % chance of error, it is best to consult a Gynecologist, who would examine your partner, and order blood pregnancy tests or an ultrasound if there is any suspicion of pregnancy.
Also, you can discuss with your gynecologist regarding a safe, reliable method of contraception for the future.
Take care and please feel free to ask for any further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 39 minutes later
Thanks doctor.
I never had sex after that. Normal lenght of my cycle is 1 month. It came on 6th dec and before that it was on 4 nov.
After how many days can a home pregnency test can be done with surity?
Also after the normal periods on 6th dec still there can be a chance of pregnency?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
A home pregnancy test can be done with surety on the first day of your missed period.
For eg, your normal cycle length is 30 days, so if you had your last period on 6th December, by 9th January, it can be done.
However, intrinsic efficiency of the test is that it is 97 % effective.
If you did not have sexual intercourse after 6th december, and that was a proper period, then chances of pregnancy are nil.
There could be other causes of a delayed period such as stress, anxiety, fluctuations in weight, thyroid disorders, polycystic ovaries etc, which can be best evaluated by your gynecologist.
As such, you were due on 8th January, and it has been only 2 days yet, which might be a normal variation.
I would advice you to wait for a few more days before consulting a gynecologist.