What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Hi,

I am 29 year old male, fairly active and not obese. Last day, I had a random blood check. The blood was drawn around 9 am with fasting. I found that my thyroid stimulating hormone(TSH) was 5.67( normal range in the lab being 0.3 to 5.5) .

I do not have much symptoms of thyroid disorder but sometimes I feel like anxiety and restlessness. Apart from that I do not feel any symptoms.

Also, in that report I saw my vitamin D to be very low . It was 8 ng/ml. What does this report indicate? I am worried that I might have thyroid problems. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs supplementation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The TSH level is raised but this counts as subclinical hypothyroidism. Irrespective of the requirement of whether medicine (thyroxine supplementation) needs to be started, the condition requires periodic follow up. I would therefore recommend you to visit a doctor and to remain under his follow up. He would be able to decide if and when thyroxine supplementation needs to be given and can re-evaluate after checking the TSH levels after periodic intervals of 3-6 months.

The vitamin D level is low and needs calcium and vitamin D supplentation. Depura Liquid 60,000 Units once weekly can be taken for 4 weeks. Coralium D3 (calcium + activated vitamin D3) tablet once daily should be taken along. Discuss with your treating physician.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Thanks Doctor.
Can you please let me know more about subclinical hypothyroidism. If I start medicines, do I have to continue it for life long. Is this disease chronic.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pathophysiology explained

Detailed Answer:
The thyroid gland secretes thyroid hormones. This is triggered by the pituitary gland which secretes TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). If the thyroid gland does not function optimally the gland needs an extra push and the TSH level increases. In your case, the TSH level is raised but not high enough to call it hypothyroidism. This is known as subclinical hypothryoidism. Certain guidelines suggest that no medicines are required at this stage. However, some doctors might still choose to give thyroxine supplementation. A follow up would be required.

It does not mean that if medicine is given it needs to be taken life long. It is not an acute condition. Nevertheless, we do not use the term 'chronic' in such cases. It is based on how well your thyroid gland can pick up on its functions that medicines would (or would not) be required.