Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Fell down and injured shin. Having pain on the area with swelling. Suggest treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
my 95 yr old father fell on a metal trash can. He has a knot on his shinn the size of a walnut, and there is a cut on the knot. It is also pink around the swollen area and goes down to his foot.....the swollen area is about 4" below his knee. He does not have a fever and the area is not warm to the touch. He only has pain in his shinn, when he stands on it. There does not appear to be any pus in the wound. This happened about two weeks ago. He feels alright otherwise.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Superficial infection Detailed Answer: Hi, There seems to be a superficial wound that is healing. You can aid the healing with over the counter antibiotic/antiseptic cream like Bacitracin. Ideally he should have received a Tetanus Immunoglobulin injection after the injury. Since it s been two weeks from now the risk of tetanus is low (average incubation period of tetanus is 7 days). It is also wise to give him a low dose oral antibiotics to avoid any complications. He seems to be carrying a pacemaker and has CHF. The pain is because of the contraction of the muscles of shin when he stands. A mild analgesic like Tylenol should keep off the pain. Keep the area clean and dry If you see signs of pus or foul smelling odor you should consider injectible antibiotics. Hope this answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor