Suggest treatment for puncture wound on the hand

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Punctured hand with caulk gun while using silicone
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions so that I can help advise:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

How deep and narrow is the puncture, and did silicone get into the wound?

Were you able to rinse the silicone out?

Are you up to date on your tetanus shots?

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Wasn’t able to wash out until 8 hours later. Not sure how deep it went in because I had gloves on. I think some (very little) got in. My palm is pretty swollen and nuckles/fingers sore.

Up to date on tetanus shot

Think the steel puncturing rod itabout 12 gauge. I could send a picture but not sure how..

I posted a picture. It’s hard to see but it’s swollen just under my pointer finger.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the additional information.

Given what you told me, I recommend that you go in to be seen at an urgent care clinic or ER now. You may be having a soft tissue reaction to the silicone, and also, there is the risk of contamination with bacteria.

In the clinic/ER, unless the wound has closed over (and possibly even if it has), they will want to irrigate it to clean the wound out and possibly debridement if there is dead tissue that needs to be cleaned out. You will likely need an antibiotic too. If the wound is deep, they may choose to pack it with iodophor gauze to help prevent infection and to keep it open (which also helps prevent infection).

When you go in, ask for a doctor as some places will give you a PA or NP. If there is no doctor and only PAs and NPs, ask for one with the most years of experience.

This should be ok, but having it assessed and treated now as soon as possible is the thing to do.

I'd be happy to provide further information once you go in.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Not good news but thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome and I hope your hand is feeling better soon.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD