Does Vaxirab N need to be taken with the first dose of Vaxirab?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I am 38 years old and was scratched by a stray dog 2 days ago. Since I have been bitten by a dog before, I know the drill. I went to buy Rabipur but as it was unavailable, I bought Vaxirab N. Now, I know that I need to take 5 dosage of Vaxirab N on 0,3,7,14 and 28 days. On this forum, one doctor told me that Vaxirab N is similar like Equirab and not Rabipur. He told me that Vaxirab N needs to be taken along with the first dose of VAXIRAB. And it is VAXIRAB that needs to be taken 5 times and not VAXIRAB N. I am totally confused. Can you please clarify? Is VAXIRAB and VAXIRAB N the same?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
take VAXIRAB N

Detailed Answer:

Do not worry I shall address you.
Since it was only a scratch it can be maximum labelled as Category 2 bite. For this kind of bite you do not need passive immunization with Immunoglobulin ( VAXIRAB). You just need to take active immunisation with ARS (anti rabies serum called VAXIRAB N) which produces the humoral antibodies against rabies.
In fact if you were already given rabies vaccine it is also good to check if you have required immunoglobulins with a blood test for antibodies.
For now you forget everything and just take VAXIRAB N for 5 days.
Please do not fall for brand names and vaccination without understanding the nature of injury. Your injury is very simple and according to guidelines you just need active immunization and do not need VAXIRAB immunoglobulin.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 56 minutes later
So, Vaxirab N and Vaxirab are two different things, like Rabipur and Equirab? This is what I understood from your reply: I need to take Vaxirab N on 0,3,7,14 and 28 days. Just like Rabipur dosage. So, VAXIRAB N is the main anti rabies vaccine and VAXIRAB is just like Equirab that is supposed to be given on the first day of vaccination along with tetanus and Vaxirab N.

I am confused with VAXIRAB and VAXIRAB N as you mentioned that . I cannot find anything about Vaxirab on the website, too. So, VAXIRAB N has to be given on the arms.

One more question. When I was bitten by a dog 5 years ago, I was given tetanus, Rabipur and Equirab. Equirab was given near the area of the bite. This time, it should be tetanus, VAXIRAB N (equivalent of Rabipur) and not Equirab, which is like VAXIRAB).

Please clarify.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Brand names

Detailed Answer:
Your understanding was right.
This time you don't need vaxirab or equirab. equirab is immunoglobulin that gives passive immunity by sterilization of rabies antigens at the site of bite. Last bite could be category 3 hence equirab was given.
You just need vaxirab N for 5 days this time. Tetanus need can be judged by local doctor by examining site of bite.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 15 hours later
I'll be taking Vaxirab N today. Just to be clear by stating that I should take this vaccine for 5 days, you meant taking it on day 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28. Am I correct? So, both equirab and Vaxirab are same? But, I am pasting 2 URLs below. One is about Equirab and the other about Vaxirab N. But, in the drug information column, both have the same specifications. So, this is my question: Is Vaxirab N and Rabipur same? Or, is Vaxirab and Rapipur are same? Or, Vaxirab and Equirab are same?

The reason for my confusion is the article that I am pasting below and one of the doctors in this forum who said that I have got the wrong vaccine. That Vaxirab needs to be taken on 0,3,7,14 and 28 and not Vaxirab N.

Please solve my confusion as I am going crazy.

https://www.apollopharmacy.in/equirab-injection-5ml.html
https://www.apollopharmacy.in/vaxirab-n-injection.html
Brief Answer:
My direct answers

Detailed Answer:
Not authentic articles were produced here.

I'll be taking Vaxirab N today.

== Please take it

Just to be clear by stating that I should take this vaccine for 5 days, you meant taking it on day 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28. Am I correct?

== Yes correct.
So, both equirab and Vaxirab are same?

== Yes

But, I am pasting 2 URLs below. One is about Equirab and the other about Vaxirab N. But, in the drug information column, both have the same specifications.

== Not authentic source of articles
So, this is my question: Is Vaxirab N and Rabipur same?

== Yes

Or, is Vaxirab and Rapipur are same? == NO

Or, Vaxirab and Equirab are same?== YES