What do body tremors, locked jaw and leg cramps indicate?

Question
Hi, last night my husband had a leg cramp and then all of a sudden his entire body was shaking. He felt like his jaw was being forced to stay opened and all his body was tense

Also this is the second time i have seen this happen to him he said he can usually take deep breaths but this time it lasted longer
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tetanus

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. The symptoms your husband was experiencing are descriptive of Tetanus. The stiff jaw muscles, the shaking, the cramps and the trouble breathing are typical of infection with c. tetani, which often can be fatal, although this seems to be a mild case. Does he have an open wound? Did he get his tetanus shot boost in the last ten years? Did he have dental work done recently? Did he have any ear problems?
Blood work looking for electrolyte levels would also give a clue to the cause of the muscle spasms. And also an EEG for possible seizures would be a next diagnostic step.
More information and additional testing is needed to find out the reason for these episodes, so I recommend you follow up with your family physician.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Kind regards.

Follow-up: What do body tremors, locked jaw and leg cramps indicate? 1 hour later
He just had a root canal done and 2 crowns put in a couple months ago. He also just received a tetanus shot a couple weeks ago.

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see as below

Detailed Answer:

Then I suggest he undergoes the above mentioned examinations for further investigation.

Kind regards.