Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Feeling tired, have slightly enlarged spleen and raised C reactive protein. Prognosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
16 c-reactive protien, 20 sed rate, tired, achey and a slightly enlarged spleen, 72 year old female
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The values of the C reactive protein is slightly raised, but the erythrocyte sedimentation rate is within normal limits. This could suggest an infectious origin of the symptoms you are experiencing. A complete clinical evaluation is however compelling to confront this result with the clinical picture.
Symptoms in case case could range from infectious to tumoural causes. It would be very appropriate to do further tests like a complete blood count in search of raised nuetrophils, a sub type of white blood cells which could be suggestive of a bacterial infection especially. Serum uric acid levels could indicate some tumoral origin. An abdominal ultrasound, coupled with a clinical evaluation for an active search of enlarged lymph nodes, both at peripheral level and in the intra abdominal structures could be appropriate.
I suggest you consult an internist for a proper clinical evaluation and laboratory or radiologic testing.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking any further questions in case you need further clarifications. Thanks for using XXXXXXX
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor