Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Feeling something under tongue, gross taste and taste of blood. Prescribed claratin. Noticed flesh hanging out of tonsils. Serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
Hello doctors.

recently i was having the feeling of something under my tongue and some gross taste in my mouth and also the taste of blood. I went to a doctor and said that it was probably allergies. (my first spring in colorado, also recently got a cat) and told me to take claratin. i have been for two days now, and my mouth is feeling a lot better.

except this morning i woke up feeling like a hair was caught in my throat, i looked in the mirror and there is a piece of flesh hanging out of my tonsil. it is NOT a tonsil stone, it is fleshy and i can see where it is attached to the tonsil. it looks like a ball or teardrop of flesh hanging by a thin strand. is this serious or something caused by the allergies? What is this?
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 32 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

If your initial symptoms are improved after taking Claritin for 2 days then the initial diagnosis from your doctor was probably correct.

Allergies can cause widespread itching especially of the eyes. Also, a runny nose, watering eyes and swelling in the mouth which usually is not severe.

It is possible that there has been some swelling around the back of your throat which gave you the sensation you described in your throat. This could also have caused soft tissue swelling around the tonsil area and your uvula. (This is the tissue that hangs down from the soft palate at the back of your throat.) This may only be temporary and will reduce in size as the claritin improves the other symptoms of your allergy.

I would recommend waiting a couple of days and if it is still bothering you then visit you doctor who will be able to examine and take any necessary steps if further investigation is needed.

I hope this helps you with the problem. Please do not hesitate to contact me will any further questions.

Dr K A Pottinger
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor