Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Faint traces of albumin in urine test. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
I had a urine test and found faint trace of albumin and 2-3 wbc/hpf. all the blood test like kidney function, lever function, hb1ac routine, sodium, potassium, iron, all r perfetctly fine. can you advice?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Perfectly fine results; nothing to worry at all

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Finding traces of albumin in the urine is absolutely normal sir; in fact the normal range of albumin in urine is considered to be between 0-8 mg/dL, so please do not worry about this. Although, I would like to ask, have you been dieting or have lost weight recently?

As for the WBC value in your urine, a small amount like 2-3 cells/HPF is also considered completely normal. In fact, when a small amount like 2-3 cells of WBC are seen, it is most probably due to hospital contamination of the sample, and is too small a value to be considered for anything.

By god's grace, you are perfectly fine, and the proof for that are all the other normal results. Congratulations, and may god bless you with good health forever.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Faint traces of albumin in urine test. Should I be worried? 48 minutes later
Thankyou so much Doctor. Its a great relief. A doctor here advised me to go for an ultra sound scan to rule out kidney stone. She said all the values should be NIL. My RBC/HPF reads 0-1 and Epithelial/HPF read 0-1. Should I go for the ultra sound?
Some answers in the web also says albumin should be nil.
I was having cough(irritation of throat) for the last few days and has started Amoxycilin 500mg for the cough and sinus . It is advised 3 times a day for 5 days.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with the ultrasound sir; safer

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

You are most welcome sir. Do not trust everything you read on the internet, unless the site is an authentic and recognized medical site.

As for the ultrasound, it is not an expensive investigation, and at your age, it would be advisable to go about an ultrasound every now and then; and finding small stones would also be normal, but this again depends entirely on their size and location. So why don't you go ahead with it sir. But small traces of albumin and the WBC are both normal findings sir.

The recent infection explains the traces of albumin, as albumin is also seen in people who are losing weight, and with the infection you have, this would be normal. Do not worry, and do keep me updated about the results.

Hope this helps sir.

God bless.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Faint traces of albumin in urine test. Should I be worried? 17 hours later
Attached is my scan report, doctor. Everything is fine.
Do you know any good treatment for allergy? I depend on Cetzine, which is not doing much help. I have tried allegra also. Someone told me that there is a test which will detect the stuff which is causing allergy. But what if it is the atmosphere? :)
I used Aerocort nasal spray for 2 weeks long back prescribed by an ENT, but it is not available now. That was ok, i guess
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All queries answered sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

As expected and predicted, you are fine. Which is great news. Now you see why you shouldn't always rely on everything you read on the internet? :)

As for the allergy, based on your description I am guessing this is a respiratory allergy, most probably to dust, not the atmosphere.

As for the allergen (substance causing the allergy) identifying tests, you are right. There are the following tests available, but even for these the suspected allergen is required and used to check for a reaction, they are:
-Skin prick test
-Intra-dermal test
-Skin patch test
-Blood tests (eg. enzyme linked immunosorbent assay)
Do discuss this with your doctor the next time you visit, but in my opinion the skin tests are more effective than the blood test.

As for the nasal spray, you can try the following instead of Aerocort, oxymetazoline or xylometazoline. Of course these are only the generic names, and they are available over-the-counter in any pharmacy across India, you can ask for the same generic names to the pharmacist and they will give you the medication. I am not allowed to disclose brand names on this forum, which is why I can only give you generic names, but this should more than suffice as you are located in India.

I hope you have found enough information to all your queries from my response. Please feel free to write back to me if I can assist you with any more information or clarifications.

God bless.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor