What are the symptoms of angioedema?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My 92 year old mother has pulmonary hypertension. The new drug her doctor wants can cause angioedema. What are the signs of angioedema & how can it be treated?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep Antihistaminic like allegra with you.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query on this forum,
Angioedema is an area of swelling of the lower layer of skin and tissue just under the skin.This swelling may occur in the face, tongue, larynx, abdomen, or arms and legs.

Common signs are-
Repetitive episodes of swelling, frequently of the face, lips, tongue, limbs, and genitals with severe abdominal pain and Slightly decreased sensation in the affected areas.

The standard treatment for angioedema is antihistamines like Allegra 180 mg once it reduce itching, swelling and other allergy symptoms.

For severe hives or angioedema, she may sometimes be prescribed an oral corticosteroid drug such as prednisone to reduce swelling, redness and itching.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T