Experiencing cough, headache, sore throat, fatigue, diarrhea and constipation. Looking for relief

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: Its been a few weeks now and I can't seem to figure out what this could be. Some of the symptoms I'm experiencing are coughs, head aches, sore throat, fatigue, diarrhea, constipation, sleep deprived, disgusting taste in my throat, confusion, back pains, neck pains, sort of breath, wheezing, light headed/dizzy at times, really exhausted, runny nose. Any idea as to what this is? Or how to treat these symptoms? I went for a check up and didn't really get the answer I was hoping to get all I got was that I had Bronchitis/pneumonia and was given antibiotics and a cough suppressant. I just feel like there is more to it than that, there has to be since all these symptoms are showing up and I'm hoping to get answers as to what this could be or what i should do next, I'm at a lost here and just need some answers. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     26 year old male
•     Known case of adhd, anxiety and ocd.
•     Complaints of: multiple unexplained symptoms from different part of body.

As your check-ups, not able to reveal significant abnormality, there is possibility of anxiety (ocd is also a type of anxiety disorder) with allergic rhinitis or both problem and to seek help from both (psychiatrist and general physician)

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm (lead to pain in multiple parts of body), heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth.

Anxiety occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it. Presence of medical illness exacerbate anxiety symptoms. So, it is better to have concurrent treatment for anxiety and psychological problem.

Also follow these simple measures:
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal