Does tums or rolaids affect blood glucose test results?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Does the use of OTC antacids such as Tums or Rolaids affect blood glucose test results ? I generally take 6-10 tums a day for sour stomach and slight indigestion although I do not consider it GERD. I recently had a fasting blood glucose reading of 90 but I did take several Tums befor the test. My doctor tells me I am heading toward being diabetic. I would like a second opinion as there is no family history of it in my family and I do not fell as though I am eating too much sugar or starchy foods.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Both tums and rolaids contain flavouring and other ingredients that can potentially affect the blood sugar if taken in sufficient quantities close to the test.
There are different ways of classifying a blood sugar; it can be normal, prediabetic (heading towards diabetes) or diabetic.

To determine which category a person falls in, there are three tests that can be used . A fasting blood sugar, a 2hr blood sugar and HbA1C.
HbA1c does not depend on meals and can be done at any time, it provides information on how much sugar has bonded to the blood over a 3 month period. It is reported as a percentage, normal is less than 5.7%, prediabetic 5.7% to 6.4% and diabetic - greater than 6.5%

I mention this because you can consider having this test done to get another indicator about the potential risk for diabetes.
You can consider speaking to your doctor about it, if possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Well then in general does the use or abuse of OTC antacids cause diabetes or high cholesteral
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Diabetes is a sustained increase in blood glucose, use of alot of substances with glucose prior to a blood test may possibly cause a temporary increase in levels but it would not be a persistent increase to classify the individual as diabetic.The levels ,if there is a slight impact, would decrease.
These substances only contain small additive amounts that would have a short lived effect unless they are taken continuously.
Prior to any other test , you can consider not using any for at least 24 hrs (though effect will not last this long) to ensure that they are not related.

In terms of cholesterol levels, there would be no impact on cholesterol levels.

Please feel free to ask any other questions