Does nicotine cause chest pain?
Nicotine patch or gum has certain unwanted effects
Thanks for your query.
You should understand the effects of non smoke nicotine on the heart and vessels that will further help understand the chest pain.
Nicotine acts on certain receptors of the blood vessels, acutely increase heart rate up to 10 to 15 beats/min and increase blood pressure up to 5 to 10 mm Hg. It also reduces the blood flow to the heart by constricting the blood vessels leading to the heart. Though it increases the output from the heart it regionally restricts the function of the heart muscle. Nicotine is capable of constricting coronary arteries even at low doses like 4mg in humans. It indirectly influences the platelets and lead to clot formation. It has influence over the lipids and greatly contributes the endothelial cell injury where these platelets aggregate contributing to plaque along with lipids. THis further presses over the flow to the heart and ischemic chest pain
Hope this is simple
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for hernia and tingling senstion
- What causes excessive sweating?
- What causes dark color bleeding after taking unwanted 72?
- Is pachkarma treatment effective in treatment of DVT?
- Does nicotine cause chest pain?
- What causes tremors in hands and dizziness despite having high BP?
- What causes white coating on tongue?
- What causes black specks in stool?
- What does a black spot on palm indicate?
- What causes difficulty walking after having Bactrim DS?