Does loose stool indicate inflammation in bowels?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
had blood work done and my wbc count is 10.4. last time I had blood work was 5 Years ago and it was exactly 10.4 as well. monocytes were 1.1. All other wbc and blood work were normal. only other problem was alt was 79. I have had an ultrasound and ct and everything looks fine. they said it was a fatty liver. stools not very solid but not diarrhea. Could this indicate an inflammation in my bowels? Stools have been like this for about a year and the color is brown to golden brown. I have always eaten a lot of fast food and drank a lot of soda. I have stopped and lost 22 pounds on purpose this month. Any ideas would be helpful. Next appointment is end of month. Also had colonoscopy and three polyps removed all benign. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation is hardly possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

I don't think there is any disease/issue you need to find or look for. There is a rule which tells that not the tests results should be treated but a patient. So if you do not have any symptoms (you haven't mentioned any), slightly elevated WBC or really slightly elevated ALT are nothing to worry about. And for sure it does not indicate Crohns disease or any other inflammatory bowels disease or bowels inflammation.
The main problem seems to be your diet. Fats foods can cause liver enzymes elevation and fatty liver. As you have stopped eating such way, liver should regenerate. It takes a from a month to 3 months.
Moreover you have had colonoscopy done which hasn't revealed any inflammation of your large intestine. So inflammation seems really hardly possible.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Does loose stool indicate inflammation in bowels? 15 minutes later
Thank you Doctor! I just found it odd they were slightly elevated and has appeared to be this way for year. I would have guessed cancer or something more serious like an auto immune disease would have increased wbc count by much more over 5 years. Since it is elevated but holding steady I thought it might be a constant inflammation triggering the Wbc count. Other than being tired, no more than most people, I feel pretty good. Just trying to get an idea of why it would be elevated for so long though. Thank you very much for the detailed response and piece of mind. I assume the mild elevation over 5 years it not a major concern? Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Well, if it was something serious, it would give any other symptoms much quicker than 5 years. So this is not a cancer symptom for sure or any other serious issue.
This might be your normal result or some sort of infection (like a cold for example) could elevate it a little. Even mild dehydration can cause such result. Inflammation or cancer would give much higher WBC count (around 12 or higher)with some anemia.
Cancer or autoimmune disease without the treatment would not let you make it so far.
So in my opinion if there is no other symptoms like enlarged lymph nodes, unexplained weight loss, night sweats, mild fever, cough, weakness, diarrhea, constipation, blood in stool, gynecomastia, testis pain, no need to worry.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does loose stool indicate inflammation in bowels? 14 minutes later
Thank you again Doctor! Other then being about 60 pounds overweight, which gave me my nice man boobs, that would be the only symptom you listed. As I lost weight this month they have shrunk so I think it is just because I am fatter then I should be and not due to something else. I appreciate the reassurance and definitely your time and help! On next response I will close the thread and provide a great review. Thank again for your time and I know you are busy.....thank you!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Just make sure that all you have inside your breasts is fatty tissue. Palpate both of them and see if there is no hard lump inside. If no, this is just a fatty tissue.

Regards.