Does long term use of steroids affect a person's immune system?
Preventive measures for the immunosuppressed
I understand your concern and I commend you for being such a good friend. At 84 the immune system is already weakened and a long term use of steroids can seriously affect it further leaving one prone to all kinds of infections.
Rubbing soaps on the broken skin, not only kills bacteria but also eliminates spores, which are bacterial eggs and which are usually very resistant.
Wrapping his forearms in gauze soaked in antibiotic ointment or witch XXXXXXX can be an effective way to disinfect and protect the skin. Also wearing a long sleeve shirt can help.
Refraining from foods such as unpasteurized milk and its products and raw eggs is also a must in immunosuppressed people.
Regular cleaning of water filters such as AC and humidifiers is also a very important measure to prevent pneumonia in the immunosupressed.
Vitamin C helps in boosting the immune system and in skin regeneration.
Good hydration is also very important.
And off course staying away from that overactive dog is the best.
At the first sign of a fever of general ill feeling your friend should see a doctor.
I hope this helps
Wishing you all the best
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Frenulum breve steroids long term
- Steroid injection and immune system
- Boost immune system while on steroids
- Steroids for immune system buildup
- Long-term steroid use symptoms
- Long term steroid use discolored skin
- Long-term use of steroids
- Injectable steroid use bad for immune system
- Epidural steroids immune system
- Long term use of steroid cream
- What causes weight gain while on Ontrintellix?
- Suggest treatment for loss of vision and vomiting
- Suggest treatment for metastatic melanoma
- What causes joint pain while on Requip?
- What causes redness and painful swelling in the eyes?
- What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for painful rash on the waist
- Does long term use of steroids affect a person's immune system?
- Suggest treatment for leg cramps and shortness of breath
- What do my creatine levels in blood indicate?