Does Metformin help in controlling pre-diabetes?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Diabetes
Question: My question , does Metmorphin help in controlling prediabetes and stops from progressing to full diabetes ? Also does Metmorphin helps to absorb sugar in cells instead of remaining in blood stream
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
is the first line of medicamental treatment of type 2 Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking HCM!

Metformine is the drug of choice in treating prediabetes or diabetes in individuals who are overweight or obese, especially when the fat is deposited in abdomen (apple shape obesity).

It reduces the insulin resistance and makes the insulin and glucose enter easily in cells.
Everyday there are new scientific publications that approve many benefits ( not only in glucose metabolism) from the use of metformin.

It also reduces the risk for some types of cancer.
Hope the information will help. Let me know if there's any further queries.

Kind Regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 hours later
Are there long term or short term side effects that are harmfull affecting other organs ?
Should I ask my Dr to recommend Metmorphin ? My blood sugar fasting is always below 100 every day , it is above 160 mg after 2 hours of eating. Also if I eat in moderation , then after 2 hrs of food it comes below 140 easily. Only HbA1C is abobe 5.6.
What out Lipitor side effects too ?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
From the results you reported seems that postprandial glucose levels are a bit high. At this point i would suggest to reduce the carbohydrates in diet rather than to add metformine.
If you would like to know the short time side effects of metformine, the most common are; nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea.
There are not harmful long time side effects, but it should not be used in hepatic or renal function impairment.
About Lipitor the most frequently reported side effects were nasopharyngitis, arthralgia, diarrhea, muscular painin, and urinary tract infection.
Hepatic impaired function is reported too. The raise in blood sugar sometimes is seen after treatment with statins.

Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj