What are the signs and symptoms of diabetes?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 in Diabetes
Question: she is 3.4 years as of now, she developed some power in left eye.
thus we had doubt if she develop Type 2 diabetes, when checked today post lunch her sugar level was 155.
Her mother having type 2 diabetes since 5 years and taking insulin, even my wife's parents also diabetic.pls suggest is it sysmptom of type 2 diabetes.

What to do for chancy, as small children eat icecram, chocolates often even I gave her very less, don't know what i'll do, I'm too much afraid as wife taking insulin and if daughter will be of same category.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

Yes refractory error may be due hyperglycemia but usually in that case blood sugar levels are quite high above 250.

Also Type 2 diabetes (which has familial predisposition) in this age group is relatively rare.

I may suggest to consult her Pediatrician or diabetologist.
She needs detailed physical examination including obesity screening, signs of insulin resistance.
Depending upon it following evaluation may be suggested -
- Fasting and Postprandial blood sugar levels or OGTT (Oreal Glucose Tolerance Test).
- HbA1c.

Hope this helps you,

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj