Does Gabapentin cause weight gain?

Posted on Mon, 13 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was prescribed gabapentin @ 100 mg/2x day. 1 in a.m. , And 1 in p.m. For my severe plantar fascitis and neuroma of the right heel. I am, finally, after 2 years of being told I need surgery on my feet (both), for a endoscopic plantar fascia release, plan to do this in XXXXXXX Getting back to my original question, does gabapentin cause weight gain and will it really help with the pain?
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is effective mostly with nerve pain atacks and neuromas with most of patients and rarely cause overweight as a side effect .
Detailed Answer:
Hi

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

For my patient, yes i recommend it for the neuropathic pain and neuroma, due to nerve compression. In very rare cases it might cause overweight ,but it is effective with such pain. Bed rest , avoid lifting heavy objects and vigorous movements , hot massaging with topical gels and muscle relaxants , B12 multivitamins will be effective for your case .

Please click THANK YOU and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Hope the above information helps you,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 5 hours later
Is it good for anxiety as well? One more thing, I heard it can cause hair loss. Is that true? I hope not.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 36 minutes later

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxx ,
thanks for your trust ,

It only causes side effects if misused or overdosed and dont worry about your hairs that is a very rare side effect that doesnt have a relation to gabapentin you may worry of some serious side effects which are uncommon if apears .

: these may include The . However, they may be more common in people who have psychiatric disorders. They include: violent behavior, aggressiveness, or anger ,anxiousness or restlessness ,anxiety that is new or worse , depression that is new or worse , irritability that is new or worse ,mania ,panic attacks , suicidal thoughts or behavior Call your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms.

Any further clarifications feel free to ask .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon