Does Dilaudid increase pressure in the brain?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: is it true that dilaudid increases pressure in the brain?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it causes raised csf pressure

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Dilaudid causes respiratory depression which leads to carbon dioxide retention further leading to raised csf pressure. This rise in csf (Cerebro spinal fluid ) pressure is dangerous in cases with head injury.
Respiratory depression is more common in elderly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 minutes later
okay some of the emergency room doctors are using it for headaches and another emergency room doctor for a nine out of ten headache told me that it raises inter-cranial pressure which is why they won't give it for that kind of reason so I guess it's an individual basis based on the doctor but I was curious for myself or they're not that doctor was actually correct on raising inter-cranial pressure or if it was not true and just did not feel comfortable prescribing
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drug is given according to need and patient profile

Detailed Answer:
Opioid is avoided as such in most situations and is administered only if pain is not controlled by other medications.
In cases related to cns where suspected raised pressure is present, it is avoided.
It should not be given in head injury, stroke or idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar