Suggest treatment for pulsatile tinnitus

Posted on Thu, 8 Jun 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. I have a pulsing sound going on in my ear - it's not painful, but annoying. Just wondering what it is
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pulsatile tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds as though you may have tinnitus. Tinnitus is the presence of abnormal noises in the ear.
Pulsatile tinnitus refers to abnormal pulsing sounds.

Pulsatile tinnitus can be due to changes in the blood flow in the neck or head. There are different potential causes and if it continues, it would be best to be seen by your doctor to find the cause.

In rare cases, there may be a serious cause such as a mass (glomus tumor), this is rare.
Other causes include: (1) presence of plaques in the blood vessels in the neck
- atherosclerosis
(2)abnormal structure of the blood vessels such as aneurysm or an abnormal shape or twist
(3)high blood pressure
(4)anemia (low blood count) and thyroid disease, because they cause increase blood flow (blood flows more in anemia to make up for the low count)
(5)BIH- benign intracranial hypertension - this is benign (not cancerous) increase of pressure in the brain
(6)fluid in the middle ear

It would be best to see your doctor assessment, it is most likely to due to a benign/not dangerous cause but other causes need to be ruled out

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James