• question-icon

Does Crocin help alleviate teething pain in an infant?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

My 10 months old daughter is teething and seems in pain. I gave crocin suspension instead of crocin drops which the pediatrician prescribed. The suspension is 125 mg/ 5 ml. i gave 1.5 ml of suspension which is lesser than the prescribed dose. I am worried of the fact that the suspension is meant for children between 1 to 5 yrs and my daughter is just 10 mobths old. I gave her suspension of 1 ml for 3 days (first time i gave her 1 ml after vaccination duringg her 7th month day and the second time is day before yesterday and third time is today) without realising that it is suspension and not drops. I gave 1 dose of 1.5 ml per day on all the three days. My baby is 9.10 kgs.. when i asked for crocin drops the pharmacist gave me suspension and i did not realize it then. Just now after seeing the recommeded dosage of 6 to 8 ml, i got confused and checked. Will my daughter be ok after taking suspension crocin drops which is meant for children of 1 years?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't get worried, you may use suspension also but in appropriate dosage

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have read the query and there is nothing to worry much.
The main difference between drop and syrup is the concentration.
Crocin contains paracetamol and can be used in fever and/or pain.

Each ml of crocin drop contains 100 mg of paracetamol while each 5 ml of suspension contains 120 mg.
Drops are usually prescribed for babies below 1 year of age as it is practically difficult to tolerate large amount in these small babies.

Similarly, the suspension is given in larger babies as the small amount may not give the desired effect.

Now coming to your question, I can assure you that there is nothing to worry much and you may give suspension also for your baby as she is approaching 1 year. But the amount need to be given is about 5 ml for each dose and it can be given at an interval of 6-8 hours depending on condition. If you want to use the drops the amount will be about 1 ml and similarly it can also be repeated at an interval of 6-8 hours.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 15 minutes later
Thank u so much doctor.. so much relief..
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
My pleasure

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Its my pleasure that you found my suggestion helpful.
I shall be glad to help you out if you have any more doubts.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology