Can HIV be contracted through contact of infected saliva on an open cut?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I'm a little uneasy as I don't know how to correspond with this situation. My daughter is 7 months old and we went to our first mommy and baby group and there were tons of babies there playing on blankets and with all sorts of toys. Well we brought our own toys and one baby crawled over and started to interact with my LO and chew on her toys. I didn't say anything as I thought to myself eh what could a bit of germs do. Well another mom came over and told me that the baby playing with our toys is HIV+. I immediately picked up my daughter and panicked. My baby girl is teething right now so she does have a cut in her mouth due to the new tooth coming in. They were both sucking on the same toy with the other babies saliva. I'm a bit scared as I don't know if this is a way of transfer? Please anyone with good advice on this please give me a answer. Should I be worried? Should i take her in for testing?
Tue, 15 May 2018 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please don't worry!

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Based on your history, both babies sucking the same toy, I think you shouldn't worry because HIV cannot be transmitted through saliva exchange.
The only risk in this situation exist if the baby had blood in mouth that could have a direct contact with an open bleeding cut in your baby mouth.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.