What is the treatment for a red patch on the tongue?

Hello, I have just noticed a bright blood red patch under my 9 month old babies tongue (well one on either side of his lingual frenum). He is teething and has just got his first tooth with the second one about to cut through the gum. He has recently had a slightly runny nose and mild temperature but doesnt seem to be in pain. He also chewing on a lot of things and may have bumped it. Is this just a teething symptom, could it be a strange bruise, or should i take him to the doctor? thank you.
Mon, 10 May 2021
Dentist 's  Response

Well a red patch under the tongue of your 9 months old can be very much due to injury with any injury caused by any hard or sharp object or food that he accidentally bumped under his tongue. As a baby's mucosa is delicate it is liked to get injured quickly with a little trauma. But in case if it is on both sides of the tongue and completely symmetrical then it is less likely to be coincidentally caused due to trauma.

You can simply wait and watch for another 3-4 days and see if it fades. In case of it fades or shrinks in size then it is fine, but in case if it is the same or increase in size then it should be checked by a pediatric dentist. For now avoid giving his any objects to put in mouth or any hard or sharp foods. Give him soft diet and cool foods as it can helps in reducing the patch if it is caused due to injury.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Honey Arora, Dentist