Do androgenic anabolic steroids cause left bundle branch block?

Posted on Wed, 12 Nov 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have done a few Steroid cycles in the past using predominantly Testosterone and Boldenone, also Clenbuterol as a fat loss supplement. I stopped all use and after a year or so I had a heart check and they found a Non Pathogenic LBBB. Whilst all tests resulted as "healthy", I wondered if AAS use had anything to do with the onset of LBBB
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A AS use may be the cause of LBBB...

Detailed Answer:
Hi Greg!

AAS use is associated with an increase of body and heart muscular mass. Increased heart muscular mass is associated with LBBB.

However other causes should be checked before conclusions. Can you upload the test results for me so I will check them by my self. If the test are normal than most probably LBBB is caused by AAS use.

Hope this answer your query!
Dr. Benardi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Hi Dr Benardi,

I don't have test results other than a letter I have copies/pasted below. I have done 3 separate full checks of varying intensity (Stress EKG, Echocardiogram with and without a radioactive fluid etc) All Doctors stated everything was perfectly normal other than LBBB after these checks.

I ceased any Steroid use 2 years ago. Is it possible at all the LBBB may go in time, or is it a non reversible condition? Thank you for your time!

Best regards,
Greg
(previous report below)
Clinical:
Thank you for asking me to see this 42 year old Commercial Pilot. He failed a medical for China Airlines on the basis of left bundle branch block. No further investigations were undertaken. He has passed his medical for the last 25 years. He experience no chest pain, breathlessness or palpitations. He has no background history of ischaemic heart disease. There is no illicit drug use. So basically a left bundle branch block has been picked up on a routine medical and Mr Hall has initiated this consultation as a preemptive strategy should he apply for other Airline positions.

We investigated him by way of an echocardiogram, which was completely normal except for the dyssynchrony one would expect with left bundle branch block. Stress Echocardiography indicated normal augmentation of left ventricular function, thereby excluding underlying ischaemic heart disease.

He has a non pathological left bundle branch block and this requires no further follow up.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In few cases LBBB may go out with time...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back Greg!

I read very carefully your report and would like to say that your heart is quite normal. This is why I think that the LBBB is more like due to AAS use. In few cases the LBBB may go out with time, but unfortunately in most of the case LBBB is permanent.

Hope this answer your query!
Dr. Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist