Do Vitcofol shots help in increasing hemoglobin levels in blood?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: FOR A WOOMEN AGED 72 YEARS, GOT BOTH FULL KNEE REPLACEMENT DONE THREE YEARS BACK.
INJANUARY 2016, HER HOMOGLOBIN WAS 8.0. IT RDUCED TO 7.35 IN XXXXXXX 2016. SHE HAS GREAT WEEKNESS AT PRESENT. CANNOT WALK AND MOVE PROPERLY

REGULAR MEDICINES AND FOOD INTAKES COULD NOT INCREASE HOMOGLOBIN. IT IS ON DOWNWARD TREND.
TO INCREASE HOMOGLOBIN, IS IT ADVISEABLE TO TAKE VITCOFAL INJECTIONS. IF YES, WHAT QUANTITY OF IHIS INJECTION AND UP TO WHAT DURATION.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I need some more information-
1. Have you checked her creatinine levels?
2. Is she a diabetic, hypertensive or cardiac patient?
Vitcofol may be taken. An injection once a weak for 10 weeks should suffice.
Please let me know the details.
Best of luck.

Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 20 hours later
My reply is as under:
1. Creatinine levels was not checked.
2. She is not diabetic. She is Hypertensive, but not a cardiac patient.
3. She is Asthmatics.
a. Should she go for Creatininine level checked up.
b. Will Vitcofol Injection is sufficient or go for any other specific medicines or Injections.

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check creatinine

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Check creatinine.
Start vit cool in the meantime.
If creatinine is going to be raised, erythropoeitin injection should really help her.
But take it in a hospital. There are side effects like raised bp for which she needs to be monitored in hospital initially .

Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 45 hours later
I am arranging more tests including ultra sound, lever and kidney functions' and more. They are expected to be completed by tomorrow.
On receipt of results of these tests, the reports shall be sent for your information and further guidance please.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Definitely

Detailed Answer:
I would definitely like to help you with the reports.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 7 days later
Dear doctor,
My doubts have not yet been cleared. The test reports have been received. I wanted to give the test reports. Full body tests have been arranged. My questions shall be completed after the reports are studied and replied. You should clear my doubts. I have no other question. The main question is still not cleared.

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for your response.

Your reports were not attached last time, hence I could not have a look at them.

Your main query was whether or not you should take vitcofol. Having seen the reports, I can say that vitcofol will not help you. Vitcofol is basically folic acid, and you may see in your reports that the levels are normal.
However, vitamin B 12 levels and iron levels are barely normal, and low respectively.
I therefore think that a combination of iron and vitamin B 12 may be tried. Something like tab fefol may be enough for now.

Also, the sodium levels in the report are low.
This is in itself a significant cause of feeling of weakness. Therefore sodium correction should be looked into. Addition of extra salt in diet may help (assuming it has not been withheld by a doctor in your local area).

Similarly your calcium levels and albumin levels are low. I would suggest a high protein diet and calcium supplementation (like Tab Shelcal for example ) to be initiated.

Finally, looking at the protein levels, I would suggest testing a serum protein electrophoresis blood test as well.
Does she have backache?
Does she have leg weakness (or more weakness in legs than arms)?
Does she have any urinary problems- controlling the urine more specifically?

I am unaware as to your medications since you have mentioned "routine allopathic medicines", and not specific medications.
Also, previously it was informed that a ultrasound was done, this report is also awaited.

Best of luck, Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 17 hours later
1. She has miner backache
2. Yes, weakness in legs is there.
3. Urinary problems are not experienced.
4. Ultrasonic was also arranged.
5. A stone of 1.25cms in G/B was also detected.
6. X-Ray of chest was also done. It was clear.
6. Report of ultrasonic shall be uploaded tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still suggest serum protein electrophoresis

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you for your response.
I have read your message.
I would suggest the same as last time.
The medicines and the test.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal.